Monday, February 24, 2014

One Year Later

A year ago today, I was awoken around 3:30 am with a phone call. I couldn't read the caller ID because I didn't have my glasses on.

To be perfectly honest, I expected my sister to be on the other line telling me something was wrong with our mom because I have received that call in the middle of the night previously.  Not only was it not my sister, but it was my mom saying it was about my sister. I rolled out of bed, grabbed some clothes and left. I don't even think I brushed my hair.

I drove to the hospital and didn't even necessarily feel rushed. I thought maybe the flu, appendicitis, etc.

I found my mom and when the nurse came in and asked everyone to leave and shut the door behind her, I knew it wasn't going to be good. She told us we would need to prepare ourselves for what we were about to see.

That was an understatement.

All the cancers I've ever known usually have a lump, bump or bruise, followed by a surgery and chemo and then hopefully by that amazing word "remission".

Not leukemia, and especially not ALL. It's a beast of a disease and it likes to stick around and hide in cracks and crevices and chase you around for your very life.

One year ago, my family was sitting around voting on the Oscars and now 365 days later, we have two immediately family members fighting the good fight.

It was best said by 9 year old Stephen Packer who lost his battle with Cancer when he said: "I hope cancer gets cancer and dies".

2 comments:

Sandy Powell said...

Had to believe it has already been a year. Such a tough fight. Tell them both we are thinking and praying for them. Love you.

Tiffany Parks said...

Heather, this is so sad to hear! My mother and me have been trying to find Megan and your mom for a few years now, last i talked to Megan was a year or so... Please get a hold of me my email is bugaboo912@gmail.com